Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Selecting components of velocity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI ,

I would like to know how to evaluate only the u part of the velocity variable in the velocity field when i am in 3D. i.e i would like to know how to tell the solver which components of a vector that i would like to be solved for ?

3 Replies Last Post Feb 3, 2012, 7:47 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2012, 2:37 a.m. EST
Hi

I do not beleive you can select only one like that, often in 3D they couple. But you can plot only 1 component. The other way around is to make a 1D model, that is basically what you are saying by solving only for one component, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not beleive you can select only one like that, often in 3D they couple. But you can plot only 1 component. The other way around is to make a 1D model, that is basically what you are saying by solving only for one component, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2012, 2:44 a.m. EST
ha i got the exact point you are saying ... !

in my case one of the effect s negligible in two direction compared to the vertical direction as the Raleigh number is less than 1000. but the heat transfer part is not negligible in any direction .. so is there any way i can do it .. ? in fluent and other CFD softwares , i can select the variable that i solve for by simply using check boxes ?
ha i got the exact point you are saying ... ! in my case one of the effect s negligible in two direction compared to the vertical direction as the Raleigh number is less than 1000. but the heat transfer part is not negligible in any direction .. so is there any way i can do it .. ? in fluent and other CFD softwares , i can select the variable that i solve for by simply using check boxes ?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2012, 7:47 a.m. EST
Hi

I havent heard about that in COMSOL, worth to ask support I would say,
Still, it's slightly dangerous, as many vector physics i.e. EM couple via all variables

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I havent heard about that in COMSOL, worth to ask support I would say, Still, it's slightly dangerous, as many vector physics i.e. EM couple via all variables -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.