Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer in porous media. how to do coupling between a poloelastic model and heat transfer model

Mohamadreza Nassajian Moghadam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to model heat transfer in a porous media which is time dependent. but for that I should input the velocity of the fluid inside porous matrix. but for my model this velocity is not predefined. in fact it should be get form another poroelastic model which determine the velocity field inside matix when I apply cyclic presure on my system in each time step.
that's why first I modeled a poroelastic model to calculate velocity field but I don't know how should I extract this velocity field form poroelastic model in each time step and give it as a input for heat transfer model. in fact I don't know how to couple them!

3 Replies Last Post Apr 10, 2012, 1:50 p.m. EDT
Mohamadreza Nassajian Moghadam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2012, 3:29 a.m. EST
More detail about my model if you need :

I need some guides about heat transfer in porous media. I need to model temperature field incide porous matrix when fluid flow inside porous matrix while I have some heat flux from boundaries. my geometry is simple. it is a axisymetric disk. the fluid flow inside matrix is caused by boundary loads on porous matrix.
to do this simulation first I tried to extract velocity field inside the matrix. first I defined a poroelastic model form structural mechanics. The model is time dependent. In this model I have a porous media in which following appling cyclic loads on porous matrix and defining boundary pressure, it is possible to extracted fluid velocity field in porous media in each time step.
Then to model heat transfer in this porous media I added a new model" heat transfer in porous media" in same simulation.
but I have problem! my quistion is:
1:how to couple these to model. because when I add a new model from model builder it needs to define a new geometry while I need to use the same geometry form model 1 because the should be coupled.
2: how I can couple these two model to have fluid velocity field output from first simulation as a input for second simulation at each time step. because for modeling heat transfer in porous media I should input velocity of fluid. and I want to take it from my poroelastic model.

Thank you for you help
Ps: I didn't find any example for heat transfer in porous media and in user guide there is just a short introduction. is there any example for that especially which forced fluid flow inside matrix which is like my case?!
More detail about my model if you need : I need some guides about heat transfer in porous media. I need to model temperature field incide porous matrix when fluid flow inside porous matrix while I have some heat flux from boundaries. my geometry is simple. it is a axisymetric disk. the fluid flow inside matrix is caused by boundary loads on porous matrix. to do this simulation first I tried to extract velocity field inside the matrix. first I defined a poroelastic model form structural mechanics. The model is time dependent. In this model I have a porous media in which following appling cyclic loads on porous matrix and defining boundary pressure, it is possible to extracted fluid velocity field in porous media in each time step. Then to model heat transfer in this porous media I added a new model" heat transfer in porous media" in same simulation. but I have problem! my quistion is: 1:how to couple these to model. because when I add a new model from model builder it needs to define a new geometry while I need to use the same geometry form model 1 because the should be coupled. 2: how I can couple these two model to have fluid velocity field output from first simulation as a input for second simulation at each time step. because for modeling heat transfer in porous media I should input velocity of fluid. and I want to take it from my poroelastic model. Thank you for you help Ps: I didn't find any example for heat transfer in porous media and in user guide there is just a short introduction. is there any example for that especially which forced fluid flow inside matrix which is like my case?!

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2012, 9:36 a.m. EST
To be able to couple them you should add it to the same model. Instead of defining a new model for the heat transfer, right click the initial model and select "Add physics" and add the heat transfer in the same model.

Under "Heat transfer in fluids" you should then be able to choose velocity field calculated from your other physics.
In other words, to couple two physical processes together they have to be included in the same model, not only the same "file".
To be able to couple them you should add it to the same model. Instead of defining a new model for the heat transfer, right click the initial model and select "Add physics" and add the heat transfer in the same model. Under "Heat transfer in fluids" you should then be able to choose velocity field calculated from your other physics. In other words, to couple two physical processes together they have to be included in the same model, not only the same "file".

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 10, 2012, 1:50 p.m. EDT
Do what Paul says, and then in the field were says heat transfer in fluids, choose in the velocity field, the one of the other physics, for example the velocity field wich give the Darcy ecuations (dl/dlm1).
Do what Paul says, and then in the field were says heat transfer in fluids, choose in the velocity field, the one of the other physics, for example the velocity field wich give the Darcy ecuations (dl/dlm1).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.