Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Specifying lengths while creating geometries

Natasha Systems biology

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I 'm following this tutorial to create a pipe geometry that branches to form 2 sub branches and coverges again.

The geometry is specified by selecting a polygon and specifying the x and y coordinates (the following steps are given in the tutorial) .

Polygon 1 (pol1) 1 In the Geometry toolbar, click Polygon. 2 In the Settings window for Polygon, locate the Object Type section. 3 From the Type list, choose Open curve. 4 Locate the Coordinates section. From the Data source list, choose Vectors. 5 In the x text field, type 0 80 80 90 90 120 120 130 130 180 . 6 In the y text field, type 0 0 0 20 20 20 20 0 0 0.

Here, I don't understand why certain coordinates are mentioned twice. e.g. 80 0; 80 0. Is it required to mention twice when there is a curve?

Secondly, I would like to know how if there is an example available for specifiying curved geometries.

Also, I obseve the length of the pipe segment is in meters (the coordinate positions are specified in meters). Is it possible to specify the length in micrmeters?

Many thanks for your time and attention

2 Replies Last Post Nov 25, 2019, 2:12 a.m. EST

Posted: 4 years ago Nov 22, 2019, 8:44 a.m. EST

I may be wrong but it seems that these are meant to be a list of vectors coordinates, so I think you are specifying the beginning and end point of each segment in your geometry :)

I may be wrong but it seems that these are meant to be a list of vectors coordinates, so I think you are specifying the beginning and end point of each segment in your geometry :)

Natasha Systems biology

Posted: 4 years ago Nov 25, 2019, 2:12 a.m. EST

Thanks a lot for the response. However, I couldn't understand why certain coordinates are specified twice in the tutorial link that I had shared in the original post

Thanks a lot for the response. However, I couldn't understand why certain coordinates are specified twice in the tutorial link that I had shared in the original post

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.