Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cap faces feature without CAD

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

[start here] I've made parts directly in COMSOL (not CAD) but I need to identify the volume inside an enclosed space a domain. It appears that the "Cap faces" feature would accomplish this but since I built it directly in COMSOL it doesn't appear available. How can I accomplish creating this domain without CAD?

Thank you Osa

1 Reply Last Post May 23, 2019, 8:16 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago May 23, 2019, 8:16 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago May 23, 2019, 8:17 a.m. EDT

Hello Osa,

The Cap Faces functionality is available even for geometries created with the drawing capabilities of core COMSOL Multiphysics, as long as the license you are using includes one of the following optional add-on products: the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or one of the LiveLink for CAD products. As pointed out in the archived discussion, you will need to make sure that the geometry representation is set to CAD kernel. If you do not see that option available to you, it is a sure sign that the license you are using does not include any of those optional products.

If you have none of those optional products, depending on what your caps should look like, you may be able to generate the internal domain via a series of other geometry creation operations, but in the general case you will need Cap Faces.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Osa, The Cap Faces functionality is available even for geometries created with the drawing capabilities of core COMSOL Multiphysics, as long as the license you are using includes one of the following optional add-on products: the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or one of the LiveLink for CAD products. As pointed out in the archived discussion, you will need to make sure that the geometry representation is set to CAD kernel. If you do not see that option available to you, it is a sure sign that the license you are using does not include any of those optional products. If you have none of those optional products, depending on what your caps should look like, you may be able to generate the internal domain via a series of other geometry creation operations, but in the general case you will need Cap Faces. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.