Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contraction of a cell on a gel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I created a 2D axisymmetrical model to examine the deformation of a (stem) cell on a (polyacrylamide) gel after contraction.

In order to do so, I should define a prestress over a part of the cell (the cytoplasm). However, since the cytoplasm is made up of a hyperelastic Neo-Hookean material, it is not possible to define a prestress -I used "Initial stress"- in a way it is possible for a linear elastic material (also, when applying linear elastic materials, the model does only converge for a positive prestress, so radially outward, instead of radially inward as in a contraction).

What could cause the model to not converge for a radially inward prestress?

And is there any other way to define a prestress for a Hyperelastic Material, to imitate contraction?

Thank you in advance!

0 Replies Last Post May 22, 2019, 10:25 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello M. Steggink

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.