Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Welded contact pair

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to Comsol. Before Comsol, I was using midas NFX.

Contacts in NFX support welded, general, rough, etc. The welded type does not allow separation in vertical and horizontal direction. Shall I use rigid connector in Comsol for this kind of contact?

The general one allows vertical seperation and horizontal sliding. I guess this is contact-pair with fritiction.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Panson

2 Replies Last Post Feb 28, 2019, 3:17 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Feb 28, 2019, 2:27 a.m. EST

Hi,

For 'welded' contact you use an Identity Pair, together with a Continuity condition in Solid Mechanics.

The Contact features are intended for general contact simulations with separation and sliding. You could however also abuse the adhesion functionality in Contact to simulate a 'welded' state. That would essentially mean that you enforce the connection between the two parts using a penalty formulation, rather than by explicit pointwise constraints.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, For 'welded' contact you use an Identity Pair, together with a Continuity condition in Solid Mechanics. The Contact features are intended for general contact simulations with separation and sliding. You could however also abuse the adhesion functionality in Contact to simulate a 'welded' state. That would essentially mean that you enforce the connection between the two parts using a penalty formulation, rather than by explicit pointwise constraints. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago Feb 28, 2019, 3:17 a.m. EST

Thank you Henrik.

Thank you Henrik.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.