Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation with large deformation beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am doing a simple simulation of large deformation beam. I made a 2D Al/Ox bimorph and apply thermal expansion with delta T = 300K. I should expect the bimorph would curve into a perfect arc.Just like the first photo. With longer cantilever, it would curve into a circle. But the simlation tell me it will not. It looks like the bimorph will just goes up without curve back. I think the simulation is not correct. I already try to use "Segregated" in the solver but it doesn't work. But how can I change the setting of the solver?

1 Reply Last Post Nov 21, 2018, 10:08 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Nov 21, 2018, 10:08 a.m. EST
Updated: 5 years ago Nov 21, 2018, 10:08 a.m. EST

Hi,

For large deformations, you must switch on geometric nonlinearity in the study settings, and ramp up the load using a continuation solver. See for example

https://www.comsol.com/model/large-deformation-analysis-of-a-beam-204

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, For large deformations, you must switch on geometric nonlinearity in the study settings, and ramp up the load using a continuation solver. See for example Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.