Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Model corrugated plate as an equivalent orthotropic one

Diego Fernandez Barrero

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a problem that includes a corrugated plate. In order to reduce the degrees of freedom of the problem, the corrugated plate can be modelled as a normal one with an orthotropic material. Then there is also the need to define different properties for the flexural behaviour (bending) and the extensional behaviour (axial forces), otherwise the equivalent model won't have a completely identical response. The idea is reflected in this article https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2011/979532/.

so the final answer is if it is possible (apart from defining an orthotropic material that I know that is possible), to control the shell finite element or create my own shell finite element type in order to alter independetly the behaviour of the shell as a membrane and as a plate.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 29, 2018, 5:59 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Oct 29, 2018, 5:59 a.m. EDT

Hi,

Currently, it is not possible to enter separate extensional and flexural properties. In some cases, you can simulate this by using a fictitious thickness, and/or by adding two separate shell materials on the same boundary. If you also have a bending-flexural coupling, such approaches are difficult, though.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, Currently, it is not possible to enter separate extensional and flexural properties. In some cases, you can simulate this by using a fictitious thickness, and/or by adding two separate shell materials on the same boundary. If you also have a bending-flexural coupling, such approaches are difficult, though. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.