Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Biot Poroelasticity coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
i want to simulate the Biot Poroelasticity problem in comsol 4.1 using the solid mechanics interface and PDE interface instead of the poroelastiity interface, because the poroelastiity interface can't solve all my question. bu i found that in this case the volumatic strain(solid.evol) is constant ,it didn't changing with time. so it was not fully coupled, only flow can influce deformation, deformation can not influce the flow, why?

thanks

5 Replies Last Post May 15, 2017, 2:55 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello J Yuan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2011, 11:23 a.m. EDT
It is possible. I have done it in version 4.2, coupling linear elastic with transient Darcy's law. What I have done is tried to recreate the biot-poroelasticity example available in comsol model library. The results look more or less identical, but you may like to check. If you find mistakes, you can let me know.

I did this in Earth sciences module. I don't have the structural mechanics module.

Hope this helps.

Suresh

It is possible. I have done it in version 4.2, coupling linear elastic with transient Darcy's law. What I have done is tried to recreate the biot-poroelasticity example available in comsol model library. The results look more or less identical, but you may like to check. If you find mistakes, you can let me know. I did this in Earth sciences module. I don't have the structural mechanics module. Hope this helps. Suresh

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2011, 12:42 p.m. EDT
thank you for you kindly replay, yes it is possible to use the biot proroelasticity in comsol library. but for my problem i have to rewrite the darcy's equation since my equation is different from darcy', so i use the PDE module to instead Darcy's law and coupling with linear elastic. and i have solved this problem in 2-D. but in the 3-D model i ofen have this erro:
Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.
the boundaries conditon and properties are same as the 2-D problems
thank you for you kindly replay, yes it is possible to use the biot proroelasticity in comsol library. but for my problem i have to rewrite the darcy's equation since my equation is different from darcy', so i use the PDE module to instead Darcy's law and coupling with linear elastic. and i have solved this problem in 2-D. but in the 3-D model i ofen have this erro: Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged. the boundaries conditon and properties are same as the 2-D problems

Posted: 7 years ago May 15, 2017, 2:41 a.m. EDT
Hi Yuan

Have you solved the problem?
I also want to have a test of building the poroelastic problem from PDE equations.
Could you send me a mph file of simplest 2d example?

Thank you!

Zhang

thank you for you kindly replay, yes it is possible to use the biot proroelasticity in comsol library. but for my problem i have to rewrite the darcy's equation since my equation is different from darcy', so i use the PDE module to instead Darcy's law and coupling with linear elastic. and i have solved this problem in 2-D. but in the 3-D model i ofen have this erro:
Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.
the boundaries conditon and properties are same as the 2-D problems

Hi Yuan Have you solved the problem? I also want to have a test of building the poroelastic problem from PDE equations. Could you send me a mph file of simplest 2d example? Thank you! Zhang [QUOTE] thank you for you kindly replay, yes it is possible to use the biot proroelasticity in comsol library. but for my problem i have to rewrite the darcy's equation since my equation is different from darcy', so i use the PDE module to instead Darcy's law and coupling with linear elastic. and i have solved this problem in 2-D. but in the 3-D model i ofen have this erro: Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged. the boundaries conditon and properties are same as the 2-D problems [/QUOTE]

Posted: 7 years ago May 15, 2017, 2:45 a.m. EDT
In Suresh's mph file, I didn't see the contribution of pore pressure to mechanical deformation.
It may lack something.

Yige

It is possible. I have done it in version 4.2, coupling linear elastic with transient Darcy's law. What I have done is tried to recreate the biot-poroelasticity example available in comsol model library. The results look more or less identical, but you may like to check. If you find mistakes, you can let me know.

I did this in Earth sciences module. I don't have the structural mechanics module.

Hope this helps.

Suresh

In Suresh's mph file, I didn't see the contribution of pore pressure to mechanical deformation. It may lack something. Yige [QUOTE] It is possible. I have done it in version 4.2, coupling linear elastic with transient Darcy's law. What I have done is tried to recreate the biot-poroelasticity example available in comsol model library. The results look more or less identical, but you may like to check. If you find mistakes, you can let me know. I did this in Earth sciences module. I don't have the structural mechanics module. Hope this helps. Suresh [/QUOTE]

Posted: 7 years ago May 15, 2017, 2:55 a.m. EDT
Oh, I am sorry.
I found the changes for pore pressure in Suresh's model, when I read the output report.
In the solid.S11, solid.S22, and solid.S33, there is a term of alpha*pf.

Hope this helps.

Suresh

Oh, I am sorry. I found the changes for pore pressure in Suresh's model, when I read the output report. In the solid.S11, solid.S22, and solid.S33, there is a term of alpha*pf. [QUOTE] It is possible. I have done it in version 4.2, coupling linear elastic with transient Darcy's law. What I have done is tried to recreate the biot-poroelasticity example available in comsol model library. The results look more or less identical, but you may like to check. If you find mistakes, you can let me know. I did this in Earth sciences module. I don't have the structural mechanics module. Hope this helps. Suresh [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.