Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Disk electrode modelling-combine Transport of dilute species and turbulent/laminar flow

Harikrishnan Jayamohan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model a disk electrode, basically a rotating disk in a solution. I am modelling the flux of species in solution to the surface of the rotating disk. I have initial concentration of the solution as initial value. So there is convection of species due to the rotating disk (which the flow module computes) and the diffusion given by diffusion coeff. When the species in solution hits the disk electrode surface it gives a current (based on Faraday constant i.e. if 1 mole hits the surface 1 Faraday charge is generated).

Now there is a term Inward flux for electrode surface. I am not sure what exactly it means. If 100% of the species hitting the electrode creates a current how do I compute the inward flux. If I put the inward flux as zero would the concentration always be constant throughout the domain? Wouldn't diffusion and convection result in different concentrations in different parts of the domain with time?

Has anyone tried something similar?

Thanks,
Hari

0 Replies Last Post Jun 8, 2011, 5:16 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Harikrishnan Jayamohan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.