Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interpolation to Represent Material Data

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Comsol and using version 4.1 and LiveLink. Currently, I am trying to understand how to use the interpolation function to assign a Modulus of Elasticity and a Poissons ratio to two different materials based on spacial coordinates. I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to use the interpolation function on top of a square in 2D in Comsol or in Matlab? Here is an example of what my data looks like:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E 5.00E+07 5.00E+07 1.15E+09 5.00E+07 1.15E+09 1.15E+09 5.00E+07 5.00E+07 1.15E+09
v 0.44 0.44 0.48 0.44 0.48 0.48 0.44 0.44 0.48

I cannot seem to use the interpolation function without recieving an error from comsol. If someone could help explain the interpolation function to me, or would be willing to share an example of using interpolation to define materials, I would really appreciate it! :)

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

2 Replies Last Post Jun 8, 2011, 5:21 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 7, 2011, 11:38 a.m. EDT
Sorry I'm not sure why it formatted like that, but in my data set, all of the 1's are supposed to be my x coordinates and a new line should begin with the y coordinates, increasing from 0 to 8.
Sorry I'm not sure why it formatted like that, but in my data set, all of the 1's are supposed to be my x coordinates and a new line should begin with the y coordinates, increasing from 0 to 8.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 8, 2011, 5:21 a.m. EDT
Hi

have you tried to check the material data base, there should be some good examples therein, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to check the material data base, there should be some good examples therein, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.