Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to get Complex geometry from import mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, all!

Recently, I have generate Comsol mesh from other software, but I found it is hard to define boundary condition, so I want to convert import mesh to Geometry. Is there any convenient way of doing this? Thanks in advance

4 Replies Last Post Jun 8, 2011, 7:03 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 7, 2011, 8:57 a.m. EDT

Hi, all!

Recently, I have generate Comsol mesh from other software, but I found it is hard to define boundary condition, so I want to convert import mesh to Geometry. Is there any convenient way of doing this? Thanks in advance

Hi, did you try (in Comsol 3.5a):
Mesh > Create Geometry From Mesh?

Regards,
PM
[QUOTE] Hi, all! Recently, I have generate Comsol mesh from other software, but I found it is hard to define boundary condition, so I want to convert import mesh to Geometry. Is there any convenient way of doing this? Thanks in advance [/QUOTE] Hi, did you try (in Comsol 3.5a): Mesh > Create Geometry From Mesh? Regards, PM

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 7, 2011, 5:28 p.m. EDT
Yeah, I took a try to generate 3D geometry, but it showed
Error: 2211
Face cannot be parameterized.
- Face: 1

I really have no idea about this error, could you do me a favor to let me know? Or are there any other ways? Thanks for your help

Best,
Lichu
Yeah, I took a try to generate 3D geometry, but it showed Error: 2211 Face cannot be parameterized. - Face: 1 I really have no idea about this error, could you do me a favor to let me know? Or are there any other ways? Thanks for your help Best, Lichu

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 8, 2011, 4:23 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I'm struggling with imported mesh too. When I get this error, I usually try to simplify the surface - and therefore the mesh within - with the original software you're using to create it. By the way, what program is it?

It's a sort of trial-and-error process.

Regards,
Prisca M
Hi, I'm struggling with imported mesh too. When I get this error, I usually try to simplify the surface - and therefore the mesh within - with the original software you're using to create it. By the way, what program is it? It's a sort of trial-and-error process. Regards, Prisca M

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 8, 2011, 7:03 a.m. EDT
Hi

the main issue you are fighting with (for me too when I receive a meshed model from a client to reuse) is that the mesh is not the "Geometreical Entities" onto which you apply the physics in COMSOL.

If so, it yould mean you have thousands of internal continuity boundaries to handle etc. A headache to geep track on

The real issue is how to transform a meshed geometry, composed of small "mesh elements" into a macroscopic geometrical object (via some external software), then to import this "higher level geometry" into COMSOL to apply the physics directly to this macroscopic geometry, AND NOT on the individual mesh elements

This is a quite different methodology between COMSOL and other more tradiational FEM tools, and it's the key for the efficiency of COMSOL w.r.t. the others, apart for such cases , when the geometry comes already "fine meshed"

v3.5a was quite good to recombine a mesh into higher level geometry, when the shapes where simple (cubes, prisms ..., not fully for spheres, circles ... and not really at all for fully free meshed surfaces

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the main issue you are fighting with (for me too when I receive a meshed model from a client to reuse) is that the mesh is not the "Geometreical Entities" onto which you apply the physics in COMSOL. If so, it yould mean you have thousands of internal continuity boundaries to handle etc. A headache to geep track on The real issue is how to transform a meshed geometry, composed of small "mesh elements" into a macroscopic geometrical object (via some external software), then to import this "higher level geometry" into COMSOL to apply the physics directly to this macroscopic geometry, AND NOT on the individual mesh elements This is a quite different methodology between COMSOL and other more tradiational FEM tools, and it's the key for the efficiency of COMSOL w.r.t. the others, apart for such cases , when the geometry comes already "fine meshed" v3.5a was quite good to recombine a mesh into higher level geometry, when the shapes where simple (cubes, prisms ..., not fully for spheres, circles ... and not really at all for fully free meshed surfaces -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.