Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface traction on NOT constraint boundaries.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good evening,

Could you, please, help me to clarify the purpose of "Surface traction" option from post processing menu in Structural Engineering module. I know, that it will give me a reaction force if I use it on constraint boundary.
What kind of loads I will obtain on NOT constraint boundaries if use "Surface traction" option ?

For instance, if I use it on internal surface, whether it gives me loads acting on this boundary? I understand that to obtain a good precision I have to use weak constraint on this boundary, however, by using Surface traction can I obtain at least somewhere near value?

Thank you in advance,

Best,

Artrem

1 Reply Last Post May 5, 2011, 9:57 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2011, 9:57 a.m. EDT
Hi

as it's expalined in the doc you have theintegration of the reacf() values RFx,RFy,... and moments RMx,RMy... (with the physics prefix "solid." or whatever you are doing, this applies to restricted boundaries. Then in structral you have the integration of the Tax,Tay... over a (any) boundary (less precise but often usefull) and finally you might turn on the weak form and iintegrate the "Lm" but then you need also to use the Diret solvers, that uses more RAM ut are oftenfaster than the interative ones.

Its all up to you, but be aware, one should always check and compare the results of FEM to some simple analytical hand calcualtions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as it's expalined in the doc you have theintegration of the reacf() values RFx,RFy,... and moments RMx,RMy... (with the physics prefix "solid." or whatever you are doing, this applies to restricted boundaries. Then in structral you have the integration of the Tax,Tay... over a (any) boundary (less precise but often usefull) and finally you might turn on the weak form and iintegrate the "Lm" but then you need also to use the Diret solvers, that uses more RAM ut are oftenfaster than the interative ones. Its all up to you, but be aware, one should always check and compare the results of FEM to some simple analytical hand calcualtions -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.