Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to define and assemble several parts using Comsol ONLY

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,
I have moved from ANSYS classic to Comsol 4.1 so im a rookie working with comsol. Now, I have to study
a free flex pivot and I kindda need to do everything in Comsol (that means NO CAD software, NO import, nothing)
basically cause I wanna know if comsol can do the task alone.
another reason why I do NOT use a CAD import is cause of previous issues during the import process.
I have lets say two models defined and i can toggle between them in tree navigation bar on the left, but i can not dragg one into another or have both models in one working space at the same time to assemble (a typical procedure in inventor or solidworks).
What am i missing here? could some one give me a tutorial on assembly please?
thank for your help in advance.

Ali

4 Replies Last Post May 5, 2011, 8:59 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2011, 2:13 a.m. EDT
Update:
I got to export the parts one by one, opened a new model and imported the geomtries ,again, one by one and Comsol put them on each other with respect to the coordinates, So that means you have to design every single part with respect to one origin.

FYI im posting my progress cause some other rookie might find it useful :)
Update: I got to export the parts one by one, opened a new model and imported the geomtries ,again, one by one and Comsol put them on each other with respect to the coordinates, So that means you have to design every single part with respect to one origin. FYI im posting my progress cause some other rookie might find it useful :)

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2011, 3:09 a.m. EDT
Hi

why not import from a cad in parasolid format ? or use one of the Livelink, much easier. And even if the COMSOl CAD is somewhat primitive, compared to a true CAD tool today, its already quite powerful

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi why not import from a cad in parasolid format ? or use one of the Livelink, much easier. And even if the COMSOl CAD is somewhat primitive, compared to a true CAD tool today, its already quite powerful -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2011, 3:17 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,
Like I said, the point of my task is to see if Comsol can do it alone.I have to wait three weeks before i get my hands on a CAD program and I want to see if Comsol can do the job, AND I am guessing that would make meshing easier, based on my ANSYS experience at least.
Comsol really need to up their game in design section.
Hi Ivar, Like I said, the point of my task is to see if Comsol can do it alone.I have to wait three weeks before i get my hands on a CAD program and I want to see if Comsol can do the job, AND I am guessing that would make meshing easier, based on my ANSYS experience at least. Comsol really need to up their game in design section.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2011, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Hi

well my experience is that meshing from a CAD model or from a COMSOl model is 100% the same, but IFF you apply the same rules: cut up your volumes such that you can easier select subsections for the manual meshing process, open up loops etc. This can be done as easily in Solidworks (or other I suppose) than in COMSOL. ANyhow construct your CAD model with meshing in mind, particularly if you have complex geoemetries

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well my experience is that meshing from a CAD model or from a COMSOl model is 100% the same, but IFF you apply the same rules: cut up your volumes such that you can easier select subsections for the manual meshing process, open up loops etc. This can be done as easily in Solidworks (or other I suppose) than in COMSOL. ANyhow construct your CAD model with meshing in mind, particularly if you have complex geoemetries -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.