Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pull off contact - electrostatic actuated beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I've been working on a CNT pull-in and pull-out voltage. One of my goals is to check the stiction phenomena occuring when the beam is being apparted from the substrate. I want to make a 2-step simulation. During the first step I crush the beam against the substrate and during the second one I add a force in the upward direction.

I checked the cilinder contact example model and I'd like to know if anybody has ever taken off the cilinder and check the stresses.

Thank you,

David Carvajal

4 Replies Last Post Apr 26, 2011, 1:41 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 25, 2011, 9:54 a.m. EDT
Hi

what physical phenomena in COMSOL will give you some stiction ? I'm not sure there is any, by default so you must probably define something yourself.

Another point, passing the pull in value is tricky for the solver. Its easier to use pressure to make the contact, as this is linear

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what physical phenomena in COMSOL will give you some stiction ? I'm not sure there is any, by default so you must probably define something yourself. Another point, passing the pull in value is tricky for the solver. Its easier to use pressure to make the contact, as this is linear -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 26, 2011, 12:00 a.m. EDT
If by stiction you mean a static coefficient of friction that is higher than the dynamic coefficient then the COMSOL friction input already supports that feature. It should work for the cylinder example you mentioned.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If by stiction you mean a static coefficient of friction that is higher than the dynamic coefficient then the COMSOL friction input already supports that feature. It should work for the cylinder example you mentioned. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 26, 2011, 12:46 a.m. EDT
Hi

indeed, if we work tangentially, if we pull normally as a cantilever in contact will do, I'm not sure that is enough. In MEMS devices there are also van der Walls forces and other phenomena acting too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed, if we work tangentially, if we pull normally as a cantilever in contact will do, I'm not sure that is enough. In MEMS devices there are also van der Walls forces and other phenomena acting too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 26, 2011, 1:41 a.m. EDT
Hi,

thanks for your reply. Actually I'm trying to figure out how can I make it work but I do have a couple of issues. In first place when I apply an upwards mechanical load the beam does not deattach from the substrate. I tried to use the static friction feature in the contact pair but the solver does not work. If I try to use an initial pressure it does not work either. I'm attaching my model.

Thanks for your help!

greetings
Hi, thanks for your reply. Actually I'm trying to figure out how can I make it work but I do have a couple of issues. In first place when I apply an upwards mechanical load the beam does not deattach from the substrate. I tried to use the static friction feature in the contact pair but the solver does not work. If I try to use an initial pressure it does not work either. I'm attaching my model. Thanks for your help! greetings

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.