Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiport S-Parameters Calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I hope that this topic finds you well.

I built a 3-port structure and i am facing a problem in calculating the S-Parameters as follows:

1) when the excitation on port 3 is off, i can calculate S21 and the ports section in the results is visible and available.

2) when the excitation on port 3 is on, the (ports) section in the result disappear and i cant calculate the s21 parameters neither any of the s-parameters.

i wish your urgent help and thank you in advance. i am looking forward to hearing from you. yours,

2 Replies Last Post Nov 29, 2017, 3:23 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 28, 2017, 11:35 p.m. EST

You can excite the ports one at a time, and compute Sij in multiple runs. There is also a multi-port (S matrix) computation option -- look for it. If you prefer to excite more than one port at once to observe the RF behavior under those conditions, you can also measure powers input or output at each port and extract quantities that may be of interest to you. But if you have a linear system, then there is generally no need to actively excite more than one port at a time, since you can establish the S parameters of the system with multiple, separate, single-port excitations.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You can excite the ports one at a time, and compute Sij in multiple runs. There is also a multi-port (S matrix) computation option -- look for it. If you prefer to excite more than one port at once to observe the RF behavior under those conditions, you can also measure powers input or output at each port and extract quantities that may be of interest to you. But if you have a linear system, then there is generally no need to actively excite more than one port at a time, since you can establish the S parameters of the system with multiple, separate, single-port excitations.

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 29, 2017, 3:23 a.m. EST

Dear robert, I hope that this message finds you well. Thank you for your reply. I managed to activate the port sweep. It is really very useful tool. reply

Dear robert, I hope that this message finds you well. Thank you for your reply. I managed to activate the port sweep. It is really very useful tool. reply

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.