Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question Ray Heating?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I want to simulate a concentrated parabolic photovoltaic and I need to calculate the heat flux and the temperature at the bottom-receiver(I use a silicon cylinder) of the compound parabolic mirror. So far the ray trajectories and the heat flux are calculated using the Geometrical Optics and the illuminated surface. The problem is when I use the Heat Transfer solid to solid and the Ray Source to see the temperature distribution. It gives me negative results for Ray power and Temperature of the receiver. So, judging from solar_dish_receiver and from thermally_induced_focal_shift I guess I am using wrong the Bidirectionally Coupled Ray tracing Study or I need to use the Solar Radiation option(trouble inserting initial coordinates) instead of Illuminated Surface?

1 Reply Last Post Oct 27, 2017, 7:06 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Oct 27, 2017, 7:06 a.m. EDT

Hi, did you manage to solve this? I am also struggling with a similar application. In my case I am modeling a photovoltaic module and some times I get negative values for the ray power, which curiously leads to very high temperatures across the module...

Hi, did you manage to solve this? I am also struggling with a similar application. In my case I am modeling a photovoltaic module and some times I get negative values for the ray power, which curiously leads to very high temperatures across the module...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.