Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Implicit vs Explicit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dose comsol solve implictly or expelicitly problem? if I want that in my model it solves implict or explicit how could I swtich and select implicit or explicit?

4 Replies Last Post Mar 22, 2011, 10:51 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2011, 10:15 a.m. EDT
COMSOL mainly uses implicit solutions. However, an explicit solver is available that uses the Runge-Kutta method. I tried it for small solid mechanics problems and it works, but you have to manually select a stable time step. You can select the explicit solver for a time dependent step by selecting “Time Explicit Solver” from “Solver Settings” in the “Solver Configurations” node.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
COMSOL mainly uses implicit solutions. However, an explicit solver is available that uses the Runge-Kutta method. I tried it for small solid mechanics problems and it works, but you have to manually select a stable time step. You can select the explicit solver for a time dependent step by selecting “Time Explicit Solver” from “Solver Settings” in the “Solver Configurations” node. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2011, 10:31 a.m. EDT
hey nagi,

Thank you very much. Is that in comsol Direct solvers are explicit and nondirect solvers Implicit?
I am worling in time dependent and the defualt is direct!!
hey nagi, Thank you very much. Is that in comsol Direct solvers are explicit and nondirect solvers Implicit? I am worling in time dependent and the defualt is direct!!

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2011, 10:47 a.m. EDT
No! Direct solvers and iterative solvers (the other option) are both used primarily for implicit solutions. They differ in the way they solve a system of equations of the form Ax=b. Implicit vs. explicit solution is a different issue. What is commonly called explicit solution or explicit method, at least in solid mechanics, is really explicit solution with lumped mass formulation. This involves no matrix solution at all. My previous post shows how to activate the explicit solver in COMSOL. In the “Time Explicit Solver” options you should set “Linear solver” to “Lumped”. Then you’ll see the “Direct” node shaded out.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
No! Direct solvers and iterative solvers (the other option) are both used primarily for implicit solutions. They differ in the way they solve a system of equations of the form Ax=b. Implicit vs. explicit solution is a different issue. What is commonly called explicit solution or explicit method, at least in solid mechanics, is really explicit solution with lumped mass formulation. This involves no matrix solution at all. My previous post shows how to activate the explicit solver in COMSOL. In the “Time Explicit Solver” options you should set “Linear solver” to “Lumped”. Then you’ll see the “Direct” node shaded out. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2011, 10:51 a.m. EDT
Nagi,

Thank you very very much for your hint. I will check comsol document for more details. your help is really appreciated.

Best regdars.
Nagi, Thank you very very much for your hint. I will check comsol document for more details. your help is really appreciated. Best regdars.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.