Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling reflection of Surface Acoustic Waves

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am investigating reflections of surface acoustic waves on piezoelectric materials. Initially, I thought I would use the free boundary condition as it seemed to be reflecting the wave back. However, I just wanted to make sure if there is a more sophisticated way of achieving this. Cheers, Alp

2 Replies Last Post Oct 5, 2017, 7:42 a.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Oct 4, 2017, 11:06 p.m. EDT

Surface waves will be reflected- to a degree- by any discontinuity. A free surface will be a fairly efficient reflector. However there will be mode conversion. Look for reflected transverse, longitudinal, or plate waves depending on your circumstance.

D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Surface waves will be reflected- to a degree- by any discontinuity. A free surface will be a fairly efficient reflector. However there will be mode conversion. Look for reflected transverse, longitudinal, or plate waves depending on your circumstance. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 6 years ago Oct 5, 2017, 7:42 a.m. EDT

Hi, Alperen,

I also need to consider the wave reflection in my research. The wave reflection is inevitable in practical situation and I think a free surface will be better. However, in order to obtain more reliable simulation results compared with the experimental tests, the characteristics of the sensor and circuits should be included in the model. I am doing this part now but have not got good results yet.

Hi, Alperen, I also need to consider the wave reflection in my research. The wave reflection is inevitable in practical situation and I think a free surface will be better. However, in order to obtain more reliable simulation results compared with the experimental tests, the characteristics of the sensor and circuits should be included in the model. I am doing this part now but have not got good results yet.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.