Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal modeling solar module - version 3.0

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to model the thermal behaviour of a photovoltaic module under normal operation conditions. For this purpose, I need to integrate the geometrical optics and heat transfer packages. This allows me to first define the fraction of sunlight that is effectively absorbed in all the layers of the module and then the absorbed power to calculate the temperature.

In particular, I am using the "solar radiation" feauture that can be found under geometrical optics. However, I have some doubts to this regard. First, I am not sure about which value I should take for the z coordinate under "initial coordinates". In fact, I tried different values and, as expected, the impact over the temperature is quite important.

Also, I am struggling to understand what is meant by total source power (Psrc, in Watts). This is because in this kind of problems the most widely used input is the solar irradiance (measured in W/m2). However, if the intensity is changed the final temperature remains the same. Only the Psrc has an impact over the final temperature. I tried to just multiply the incident irradiance by the active surface but still the final temperature is huge.

I think all the elements are more or less well integrated but what concerns my the most is the fact that such a high temperature is yielded. I have enclosed the model as it is so far (the geometry is still very simple, based on a silicon slab and an aluminum back sheet). Any idea why the temperature is so high?

Cheers!

1 Reply Last Post Oct 2, 2017, 7:15 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Oct 2, 2017, 7:15 a.m. EDT

Dear Patricia,

Can you direct your question to support@comsol.com, please? Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Yara Soares

COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212

www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com

Dear Patricia, Can you direct your question to support@comsol.com, please? Thank you in advance. Kind regards, Yara Soares ---------------------------------------------------------------------- COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212 www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.