Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Yield function of Cam clay model is larger than 0, but no plastic strain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am now using the cam clay model to perform Coupled HM analysis. However, the results showed that the yield function is larger than 0(solid.Fyield>0), but there was no plastic strain. I am really confused by such results. If you have any such experience, Could you please share me some ideas?

In addition, the I cannot figure out why we should input the Void ratio at reference pressure,N, and the corresponding reference pressure, prefN. Acutally, these two parameters can be determined by the other parameters we input in the model, i.e. k, lamda, initial consolidation pressure and initil void ratio. Could anybody share me some ideas about these two parameters?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Yu

-------------------
Yu Zhang

1 Reply Last Post Sep 29, 2017, 3:53 a.m. EDT
Ed Gonzalez COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 29, 2017, 3:53 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Sep 29, 2017, 3:54 a.m. EDT

Dear Yu, It is very strange that the yield function is bigger than zero, and that no plastic strains have developed. Could you please upload your model, so we can help you to debug it? Thanks Ed

Dear Yu, It is very strange that the yield function is bigger than zero, and that no plastic strains have developed. Could you please upload your model, so we can help you to debug it? Thanks Ed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.