Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Viscoelastic material Model in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model a Polymer behavior in COMSOL 3.5a.
I have a hyperelastic model of the polymer, but now I want to model it using viscoelastic material model.

I wanted to know how to obtain the parameters Gi and Ti for the table in viscoelastic material model in subdomain settings. I have creep test data (Force - Displacement curve) for a out of plane deformation of the polymer. Geometry is known.

Thanks,
Aseem

10 Replies Last Post Oct 13, 2017, 11:15 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2011, 11:46 p.m. EDT
I have the same question with you!
I have the same question with you!

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2011, 12:19 a.m. EDT
The viscoelastic Prony series constants (Gi and Ti) should be evaluated from a creep test using nonlinear least-square curve fitting. Your polymer's stress-strain response will determine whether a viscoelastic material model is more suitable than a hyperelastic one, or if a more advanced material model is required.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The viscoelastic Prony series constants (Gi and Ti) should be evaluated from a creep test using nonlinear least-square curve fitting. Your polymer's stress-strain response will determine whether a viscoelastic material model is more suitable than a hyperelastic one, or if a more advanced material model is required. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 14, 2011, 8:35 a.m. EDT
In case of viscoelastic material, the problem is almonst same. I’m in trouble with calculating instantaneous shear modulus and relaxation time for Generalized Maxwell Model. For example I would use viscoelastic material where Young modulus E = 8e10 Pal, Poison’s ratio v = 0.25, viscosity nu = 1e18 Pa s. From this I calculated total shear modulus G = E/{2(1+v)}, bulk modulud K =E/{3(1-2v)} at the first load limit and Maxwell relaxation time Lamda = nu/G.

Now how can I calculate instantaneous shear modulus and corresponding relaxation time for Generalized Maxwell Model?

--
Md. Tariqul Islam
Department of Earth Science
University of Gothenburg, Sweden
tariqul.islam@gvc.gu.se
In case of viscoelastic material, the problem is almonst same. I’m in trouble with calculating instantaneous shear modulus and relaxation time for Generalized Maxwell Model. For example I would use viscoelastic material where Young modulus E = 8e10 Pal, Poison’s ratio v = 0.25, viscosity nu = 1e18 Pa s. From this I calculated total shear modulus G = E/{2(1+v)}, bulk modulud K =E/{3(1-2v)} at the first load limit and Maxwell relaxation time Lamda = nu/G. Now how can I calculate instantaneous shear modulus and corresponding relaxation time for Generalized Maxwell Model? -- Md. Tariqul Islam Department of Earth Science University of Gothenburg, Sweden tariqul.islam@gvc.gu.se

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 10, 2011, 3:22 a.m. EDT
Hi Tariqul! Which kind of problem are you attempting to simulate?
Hi Tariqul! Which kind of problem are you attempting to simulate?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2012, 3:31 p.m. EST
Hi Fabio,

I'm interested about Plate spreading model. If you have something to share please, knock me. Thanks.

Regards
Tariqul
-------------------
Md. Tariqul Islam
Department of Earth Science
University of Gothenburg, Sweden
tariqul.islam@gvc.gu.se
Hi Fabio, I'm interested about Plate spreading model. If you have something to share please, knock me. Thanks. Regards Tariqul ------------------- Md. Tariqul Islam Department of Earth Science University of Gothenburg, Sweden tariqul.islam@gvc.gu.se

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2012, 5:54 p.m. EDT
I am having trouble with modeling fluid flow over a viscoelastic material. The material doesnt seem to deform or show visco elastic deformation. Can someone please take a look at the model and tell me whats wrong? I am relatively new in COMSOL,

I tried constraining one side of the solid sphere but still it doesnt show any deformation. I think the object is behaving like a linearly elastic model although it has been over ridden with visco elastic model. Can you please suggest what is wrong? Why is it not deforming? (what are proper parameters which will make it deform?)
I am having trouble with modeling fluid flow over a viscoelastic material. The material doesnt seem to deform or show visco elastic deformation. Can someone please take a look at the model and tell me whats wrong? I am relatively new in COMSOL, I tried constraining one side of the solid sphere but still it doesnt show any deformation. I think the object is behaving like a linearly elastic model although it has been over ridden with visco elastic model. Can you please suggest what is wrong? Why is it not deforming? (what are proper parameters which will make it deform?)

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 11, 2012, 9:16 a.m. EDT
The relaxation time that you used for the viscoelastic term is very large 1e30. That effectively cancels the viscoelasticity except in a time frame of comparable magnitude to 1e30 seconds. The viscoelastic shear modulus is also much smaller than the long term shear modulus. If you set the Maxwell shear modulus = 1000[Pa], and relaxation time = 2[s] you should see the solution changing with time.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The relaxation time that you used for the viscoelastic term is very large 1e30. That effectively cancels the viscoelasticity except in a time frame of comparable magnitude to 1e30 seconds. The viscoelastic shear modulus is also much smaller than the long term shear modulus. If you set the Maxwell shear modulus = 1000[Pa], and relaxation time = 2[s] you should see the solution changing with time. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 11, 2017, 2:07 p.m. EDT
Hello,

I am trying to model a volcano with viscoelastic material. But I cannot find the linear viscoelastic material mode option in my interface (solid mechanics(solid)>material mode>). I am using COMSOL 5.0. Can you help me with it.

Bhuvan.
Hello, I am trying to model a volcano with viscoelastic material. But I cannot find the linear viscoelastic material mode option in my interface (solid mechanics(solid)>material mode>). I am using COMSOL 5.0. Can you help me with it. Bhuvan.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 11, 2017, 2:23 p.m. EDT
Hello Bhuvan,
Viscoelastic materials are available only if your license includes the Structural Mechanics Module. They are not available among the structural mechanics capabilities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics. More options are available if your license includes both the Structural Mechanics Module and the Nonlinear Structural Materials Module. See the attached exerpt from the online product specification chart (www.comsol.com/products/specifications/),
To determine whether your license includes either of those products, go to File > Used and Licensed Products.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Bhuvan, Viscoelastic materials are available only if your license includes the Structural Mechanics Module. They are not available among the structural mechanics capabilities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics. More options are available if your license includes both the Structural Mechanics Module and the Nonlinear Structural Materials Module. See the attached exerpt from the online product specification chart (https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/), To determine whether your license includes either of those products, go to File > Used and Licensed Products. Best, Jeff

Posted: 6 years ago Oct 13, 2017, 11:15 p.m. EDT

Dear Aseem,

I am also trying to use viscoelastic materials in COMSOL. But I only found the one material type named "linear viscoelastic materials" under the "solid mechanics" category (COMSOL 5.2). I wonder could you please tell me where is the viscoelastic material type whose inputs are Prony parameters Gi and Ti? Many thanks.

Best regards

Hai

Dear Aseem, I am also trying to use viscoelastic materials in COMSOL. But I only found the one material type named "linear viscoelastic materials" under the "solid mechanics" category (COMSOL 5.2). I wonder could you please tell me where is the viscoelastic material type whose inputs are Prony parameters Gi and Ti? Many thanks. Best regards Hai

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.