Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat conduction in 2D model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am a beginner and I need help for a heat conduction simulation.
I have a 2D model of a hollow rectangular plastic case (thickness around 1mm) with a thin copper layer attached to one of the inner sides of the case. A heat source should be applied from the external environment and I want to evaluate the temperature response of the copper layer. Inside and outside the case there should be air (I don't know how to assign it because it is an empty space and i can't select it)
How should I proceed? How can I run the simulation?
Thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post Sep 11, 2017, 2:20 a.m. EDT
Thure Ralfs COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 11, 2017, 2:20 a.m. EDT
To start with you could take a look at the "Application library", that you find under the "File" menu. Go to the model:
Heat Transfer Module -> Tutorials, Forced and Natural Convection -> vacuum flask
Open the pdf-document and read how that is set up.
If you need to model the air around you device, you also need to draw an air domain.
To start with you could take a look at the "Application library", that you find under the "File" menu. Go to the model: Heat Transfer Module -> Tutorials, Forced and Natural Convection -> vacuum flask Open the pdf-document and read how that is set up. If you need to model the air around you device, you also need to draw an air domain.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.