Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

wrong number of dof in linearization point

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

what is the meaning of this error message when using the adaptive mesh refinement feature?
The calculation on the source mesh was succesful. Just before starting the calculation on the refined mesh, the error appears.

Best regards,
mb

2 Replies Last Post Nov 9, 2011, 8:20 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2011, 9:18 a.m. EDT
Hi

my feeling is that only COMSOL developers really know what these mostly cryptic error messages means, at least I have not noticed that one before.

It is true that some chain info where the messages originates to in the solving process etc, but in user compatible words, could be useful, some more info along these lines is to be found in the error log, and you can turn (far down in the solver nodes) the error log onto "detailed", which mostly only means a few more info, often of interest, especially when fighting with convergence issues.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my feeling is that only COMSOL developers really know what these mostly cryptic error messages means, at least I have not noticed that one before. It is true that some chain info where the messages originates to in the solving process etc, but in user compatible words, could be useful, some more info along these lines is to be found in the error log, and you can turn (far down in the solver nodes) the error log onto "detailed", which mostly only means a few more info, often of interest, especially when fighting with convergence issues. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2011, 8:20 p.m. EST
I ran into this problem before, even with everything seem to set up correctly. I found two ways to solve this problem, one is to "get the initial values" within the solver, then restart the model instead of using the solver button directly, this worked for me. Another way is to restart the model all over again from the very beginning and make sure you enter your subdomain, boundary conditions, constants, and variable definition correctly (I know this seem ridiculous) but sometimes there are accumulating errors that just preventing it from working, i still don't know what the error means or how to properly resolve it, but the above seem to work for now.
I ran into this problem before, even with everything seem to set up correctly. I found two ways to solve this problem, one is to "get the initial values" within the solver, then restart the model instead of using the solver button directly, this worked for me. Another way is to restart the model all over again from the very beginning and make sure you enter your subdomain, boundary conditions, constants, and variable definition correctly (I know this seem ridiculous) but sometimes there are accumulating errors that just preventing it from working, i still don't know what the error means or how to properly resolve it, but the above seem to work for now.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.