Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to choose which version of COMSOL when I installed two versions of COMSOL on Linux

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone,

does anyone konw how to choose which version of COMSOL when I installed two versions of COMSOL on Linux?

I've install comsol5.3 first then comsol4.3a on the Ubuntu 17.04.
I know the the installation directory of the two versions are /usr/local/comsol53 and /usr/local/comsol43a.

But when I type
comsol
or comsol multiphysics
or comsol server
or comsol server matlab
on the terminal,
it is always comsol5.3, not the comsol4.3a.

I checked the .bashrc file where some startup PATHs are in, no comsol4.3a or comsol5.3 exsists.

So, How to choose which version of COMSOL when I installed two versions of COMSOL on Linux?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post Aug 18, 2017, 9:56 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 18, 2017, 9:56 a.m. EDT
My problem was solved by Dr Gang Wang as following: //>
General speaking, programs or scripts are executed by exact directory in Linux. If you install two versions of COMSOL Multiphysics, there are several ways to execute what version you want. For example,
- use full path. e.g., /usr/local/comsol53/multiphysics/bin/comsol will run Version 5.3, and /usr/local/comsol43a/multiphysics/bin/comsol will run Version 4.3a.

- create shortcuts. You can use ln to create several shortcuts for different versions. e.g.,
ln -s /usr/local/comsol53/multiphysics/bin/comsol /bin64/comsol53
ln -s /usr/local/comsol43a/multiphysics/bin/comsol /bin64/comsol43a

Then you can use comsol53 to call Version 5.3, and comsol43a to call Version 4.3a.

- execute command in the specific folder. First cd to the folder in a terminal. Then call COMSOL Multiphysics by ./comsol.

By the way, a higher version usually has more robust functionality and fixes some bugs in lower version. We suggest you always try to use higher version.
//>

And,
Exactly, as Dr Wang suggested, i used " /usr/local/comsol43a/bin/comsol " to run Version 4.3a. or cd the exact directory of comsol43a to run ./comsol for version4.3a.

And according to Dr Wang's suggestion on the less-bugs higher version, I only used " sudo ln -s /usr/local/comsol43a/bin/comsol /bin/comsol43a " to create a shortcut.
My problem was solved by Dr Gang Wang as following: //> General speaking, programs or scripts are executed by exact directory in Linux. If you install two versions of COMSOL Multiphysics, there are several ways to execute what version you want. For example, - use full path. e.g., /usr/local/comsol53/multiphysics/bin/comsol will run Version 5.3, and /usr/local/comsol43a/multiphysics/bin/comsol will run Version 4.3a. - create shortcuts. You can use ln to create several shortcuts for different versions. e.g., ln -s /usr/local/comsol53/multiphysics/bin/comsol /bin64/comsol53 ln -s /usr/local/comsol43a/multiphysics/bin/comsol /bin64/comsol43a Then you can use comsol53 to call Version 5.3, and comsol43a to call Version 4.3a. - execute command in the specific folder. First cd to the folder in a terminal. Then call COMSOL Multiphysics by ./comsol. By the way, a higher version usually has more robust functionality and fixes some bugs in lower version. We suggest you always try to use higher version. //> And, Exactly, as Dr Wang suggested, i used " /usr/local/comsol43a/bin/comsol " to run Version 4.3a. or cd the exact directory of comsol43a to run ./comsol for version4.3a. And according to Dr Wang's suggestion on the less-bugs higher version, I only used " sudo ln -s /usr/local/comsol43a/bin/comsol /bin/comsol43a " to create a shortcut.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.