Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using Google Sketchup for designing geometry

Tom Alexander Solgård

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Has anyone found a way to export geometry from Sketchup to COMSOL? I cannot seem to find a format that works in practice. Are there any special considerations to make when converting/exporting the geometry?

I have tried Autocad also, but I am having trouble finding formats that COMSOL are happy with. I have been successful with the .step format with the COMSOL CAD import, but never with vrml or .stl.

I have tried using MeshLab for some converting, and managed to import a mesh in COMSOL, but I do not now how to backward trace and assign physics to the mesh.

Anyone with experiences related to this?

3 Replies Last Post Dec 20, 2012, 4:46 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2011, 9:10 a.m. EST
Hi Tom,
Forget about vrml and stl. These formats were not meant for import of CAD geometries. In my experience, support of these formats is only helpful for importing non-patterned geometries, like organic structures (say body parts, etc) but even then I'd consider it a last resort. For a geometry you can create in a CAD package, use a proper CAD format to pass it to COMSOL. It sounds like you've been successful with the .step format, so I'd stick with that.
Jeff
Hi Tom, Forget about vrml and stl. These formats were not meant for import of CAD geometries. In my experience, support of these formats is only helpful for importing non-patterned geometries, like organic structures (say body parts, etc) but even then I'd consider it a last resort. For a geometry you can create in a CAD package, use a proper CAD format to pass it to COMSOL. It sounds like you've been successful with the .step format, so I'd stick with that. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 20, 2012, 4:32 a.m. EST
Hi tom, how did you import your meshlab mesh into comsol? I would like to do the same, but could not figure it out yet.
Best, martin
Hi tom, how did you import your meshlab mesh into comsol? I would like to do the same, but could not figure it out yet. Best, martin

Tom Alexander Solgård

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 20, 2012, 4:46 a.m. EST

I tried different formats, but I can't remember which one I ended up with. Anyway, I didn't end up using it...
--
MSc. Acoustics using COMSOL for modelling loudspeakers and room acoustics.
no.linkedin.com/pub/tom-alexander-solg%C3%A5rd/27/600/1b3
I tried different formats, but I can't remember which one I ended up with. Anyway, I didn't end up using it... -- MSc. Acoustics using COMSOL for modelling loudspeakers and room acoustics. http://no.linkedin.com/pub/tom-alexander-solg%C3%A5rd/27/600/1b3

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.