Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary constrain on simple tension

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I'm trying to model the simple uniaxial tansion of a neo-hookean hyperelastic beam, and i have some problems about the bounday contrain.
I fixed an extremity and i impodes a ditribuited load at the othe end. The problem is this last end: infact i would like to constrain both ends of the strip, in a such way the loaded end can't deform in any direction.

I tried the roller and the axial simmetry constrain, and the prescribed displacement, but the problem remain.

In attach the fugure of the deformed shape of the beam. What can i do to prevent the deformation of the face in the load direction?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sandra

3 Replies Last Post Feb 20, 2011, 7:52 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2011, 3:12 p.m. EST
Hi

if you want to impose that the loaded edge remains "straight", then you should look up the example in the 3.5a doc about a rigid edge beam, but I do not remember exactly in which doc it is ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you want to impose that the loaded edge remains "straight", then you should look up the example in the 3.5a doc about a rigid edge beam, but I do not remember exactly in which doc it is ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2011, 7:18 a.m. EST
Thank you Ivar!
I found the example you suggest in Structural Mechanics Model User's Guide, and also I found this topic in the forum

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/7961/

But in my case, the domain to be "stright" is not an edge, but a face, and i work whit the Structural mechanics->solid stress-strain module, so i didn't understand how i can apply the edge example.

Sandra

Thank you Ivar! I found the example you suggest in Structural Mechanics Model User's Guide, and also I found this topic in the forum http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/7961/ But in my case, the domain to be "stright" is not an edge, but a face, and i work whit the Structural mechanics->solid stress-strain module, so i didn't understand how i can apply the edge example. Sandra

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2011, 7:52 a.m. EST
Hi

well if you are in true 3D then you boundaries are 2D, indeed you need to adapt the example from the 2D (1D boundaries=edges) to faces

By the way in 4.1 you have the RBC (rigid boundary conditions) that will do it for you

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well if you are in true 3D then you boundaries are 2D, indeed you need to adapt the example from the 2D (1D boundaries=edges) to faces By the way in 4.1 you have the RBC (rigid boundary conditions) that will do it for you -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.