Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is comsol v 4.1 supports hypermesh file????

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am simulating plate with surface crack in comsol,but I am not able to get proper meshing in comsol.So ,i want to meshing in hypermesh & transfer it in comsol.Is it possible??

Regards!!

Deepak

5 Replies Last Post May 7, 2011, 6:35 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 12, 2011, 7:46 a.m. EST
Hi

import of Nastan Neutral files are possible for the meshed geometry but it gives you quite some work to regenerate a geometry and apply correct physics and BC as these are NOT applied to the mesh, but on the geometrical entities. The COMSOL mesh is generated therefter from the entities and the mesh heritates its properties from the domains and boundaries it bolongs to.

I find the mesher quite usefull, you need to learn it's way but you have many options. HAve you run the meshing video ? and taken a Comsol course on advanced meshing ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi import of Nastan Neutral files are possible for the meshed geometry but it gives you quite some work to regenerate a geometry and apply correct physics and BC as these are NOT applied to the mesh, but on the geometrical entities. The COMSOL mesh is generated therefter from the entities and the mesh heritates its properties from the domains and boundaries it bolongs to. I find the mesher quite usefull, you need to learn it's way but you have many options. HAve you run the meshing video ? and taken a Comsol course on advanced meshing ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 12, 2011, 8:09 a.m. EST
thanks for the reply. will Mapped meshing work in surface crack on the plate???.As i know it will not work. Is it possible to do mapped meshing in my case.

Regards!!!

Deepak
thanks for the reply. will Mapped meshing work in surface crack on the plate???.As i know it will not work. Is it possible to do mapped meshing in my case. Regards!!! Deepak

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 12, 2011, 2:05 p.m. EST
Hi
and what's wrong with a dense teth ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi and what's wrong with a dense teth ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2011, 2:52 a.m. EDT
some inverted mesh warning is coming if i do dense tetrahedral meshing .How to remove these inverted mesh error?

regards!!

Deepak
some inverted mesh warning is coming if i do dense tetrahedral meshing .How to remove these inverted mesh error? regards!! Deepak

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2011, 6:35 a.m. EDT
Hi

first of all, as I said a warning is not the end of the story, mostly the results remain valid. THe inversion of a mesh means that the shape is becoming too elongated sothat the higher order shape functions do not correctly model the mesh element. Hence COMSOl turns to 1st order meshing elements, where the elements are risky to be "inbverted"

The cause being the distorted shape, and this is related to mesh initial size aqnd total deformation, including how this deformation is distributed among the different mesh elements (image these as a series of springs with masses in betwee, If all masses, and spring stiffness are the same, then a compression of your strudcture is evenly distributed. But if you have larger and smaller masses, with larger an smaller springs, then the deformation might become so irregular that the large stiff elements completely sqeezes the smaller softer adjacent ones.

In the solver setting you have a few "spring" smoothing models "Wilslow" and "Laplace" I believe, in V4 we have also "hyperelastic", not sure it's there in v3.5. These you can also play with

Finally if you knoe a little how the mesh deforms (tears in your case) you could try to draw some helping edges and impose a regular deformation along these

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all, as I said a warning is not the end of the story, mostly the results remain valid. THe inversion of a mesh means that the shape is becoming too elongated sothat the higher order shape functions do not correctly model the mesh element. Hence COMSOl turns to 1st order meshing elements, where the elements are risky to be "inbverted" The cause being the distorted shape, and this is related to mesh initial size aqnd total deformation, including how this deformation is distributed among the different mesh elements (image these as a series of springs with masses in betwee, If all masses, and spring stiffness are the same, then a compression of your strudcture is evenly distributed. But if you have larger and smaller masses, with larger an smaller springs, then the deformation might become so irregular that the large stiff elements completely sqeezes the smaller softer adjacent ones. In the solver setting you have a few "spring" smoothing models "Wilslow" and "Laplace" I believe, in V4 we have also "hyperelastic", not sure it's there in v3.5. These you can also play with Finally if you knoe a little how the mesh deforms (tears in your case) you could try to draw some helping edges and impose a regular deformation along these -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.