Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nernst plank module in comsol 4.0a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model an electrochemical cell in order to predict i-V curves, I use Nernst planck module, and I have 2 species , one of them is oxidizing and other is reducing. I have 2 problem:
(ny solution is c1=Potassium(k+) , C2=ferrocyanide(-4) and c3=ferricyanide(-3))

1- I define 3 species because 1 species is based on electroneutrality, but in simulation I received some negative concentration!?

2- concentration of other reducing species did not change, do I need to reaction engineering physics for defining these equetion? O+e=R

2 Replies Last Post Feb 23, 2011, 3:23 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 2:34 a.m. EST
Hi,
Check your boundary conditions. If you have applied constant flux condition at any of the boundary, you will get negative concentrations. you need to change BC.
good luck
Mahendra
Hi, Check your boundary conditions. If you have applied constant flux condition at any of the boundary, you will get negative concentrations. you need to change BC. good luck Mahendra

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2011, 3:23 p.m. EST
hi

Thank you for your consideration, But I did not define constant Flux in boundary condition, for my model, diffusion is important, so I can use dilute species but my big problem is how can software understand about reaction, because concentration of one spices in reaction with simulation is zero ,if any one knw about that please help me.
hi Thank you for your consideration, But I did not define constant Flux in boundary condition, for my model, diffusion is important, so I can use dilute species but my big problem is how can software understand about reaction, because concentration of one spices in reaction with simulation is zero ,if any one knw about that please help me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.