Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle radius or diameter variable for user defined interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a variable that can be referenced in the User Defined interaction force input that gives either particle's radius or diameter? I know how to find the distance between the particles and the x, y, and z positions of either particle, but I've found no reference to their size (or other properties that might be relevant). This severely limits the utility of the User Defined interaction force.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 16, 2016, 11:48 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 16, 2016, 11:48 a.m. EST
I found the relevant variables in the equation view of Particle Properties. Specifically ftp.rp is radius. Also of interest, ftp.mp (mass) and ftp.Vp (volume).

In addition, I realized that using particle species index (fpt.sidx) as a parameter to piecewise functions I could reference additional non-standard particle properties (e.g. modulus of elasticity). So I have a function called 'E' which takes in an index and returns the modulus of elasticity parameter for the associated particle type. I am using this and other variables in a collision model.
I found the relevant variables in the equation view of Particle Properties. Specifically ftp.rp is radius. Also of interest, ftp.mp (mass) and ftp.Vp (volume). In addition, I realized that using particle species index (fpt.sidx) as a parameter to piecewise functions I could reference additional non-standard particle properties (e.g. modulus of elasticity). So I have a function called 'E' which takes in an index and returns the modulus of elasticity parameter for the associated particle type. I am using this and other variables in a collision model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.