Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Approach in modelling diffuse sound field excitation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings,

I am interested in modelling sound transmission loss of a partition held between a reverberation chamber and an anechoic chamber.

Ideally, considering incident sound wave, the source side can be simplified into a simple rectangular solid with a Plane Wave Incident BC.

However, for a reverberation chamber, it is more ideal to consider a diffuse field instead.

I have tried several approaches such as having a hemi-spherical source domain with its spherical boundary prescribed with Plane Wave Incident BC or randomly placing multiple monopole sources within the hemi-spherical domain. The former approach was far off from my experiment results while the latter was able to agree reasonably only if the postions of the monopole sources were optimally selected.

I understand that there is a way to model diffuse sound field in ABAQUS, where you can define a number of plane waves propagating from an imaginary grid but not sure if there are other alternatives that could help improve my approach in COMSOL.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 23, 2016, 4:47 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Linus

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 23, 2016, 4:47 p.m. EST
Hello,

did you find a solution for modelling a diffuse sound field excitation i comsol?

i used an analytical approach to calculate to pressure distribution on the wall surface in matlab and used this solution as pressure exciation, but im not quite satisfied by the results.

thanks for your reply,
Max
Hello, did you find a solution for modelling a diffuse sound field excitation i comsol? i used an analytical approach to calculate to pressure distribution on the wall surface in matlab and used this solution as pressure exciation, but im not quite satisfied by the results. thanks for your reply, Max

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.