Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress and Strain Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am new to Comsol, and I need a little help.

I am doing a project analysing the stress and strain on particular pipe fittings, made from an aluminium alloy. I have done my drawings in Autocad Inventor and transferred them into Comsol.

What are the main things that I need to do process the model? Do I need the Young's Modulus etc? I am unsure what research I need to do, and would appreciate any pointers anyone can give me to steer me in the right direction.

I apologise if this is a very open ended problem.

Thanks very much

Dave

1 Reply Last Post Oct 19, 2009, 6:13 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2009, 6:13 p.m. EDT
Hi

If you are a newcomer, then really try out the excellent examples in the documentation, select the structural mode and try out the tutorial, or try some of the videos on the web.

basically you need:
1) a geometry
2) some physics: probably structural static in your case,
3) some material data: to be applied on the geometries, Young modulus E, poisson coefficent nu, density rho, perhaps linear expansion alpha, and/or some thermal data
4) some boundary conditions: on the volumes/surfaces/edges = subdomain/boundary/edges (maybe also on the points but that's rather exceptional) fixed, restrained, force loads, temperature loads, sources, sinks ...
5) mesh the volumes carefully
6) solve the case
7) if everything did go OK then : postprocess, or decide what to show/plot/measure-analyse

Normaly you should thereafter "verify" your model coherence: are the calculated values coherent with the model?

and "validate" your model: do the results seem coherent with the desired effect ?

cross check a few points against simple analytical calculations, and when possible by measured data for specific load cases.

If not, work on the geometry, the BC's, the mesh density, perhaps the physics and try again

That's it, Good luck
Ivar
Hi If you are a newcomer, then really try out the excellent examples in the documentation, select the structural mode and try out the tutorial, or try some of the videos on the web. basically you need: 1) a geometry 2) some physics: probably structural static in your case, 3) some material data: to be applied on the geometries, Young modulus E, poisson coefficent nu, density rho, perhaps linear expansion alpha, and/or some thermal data 4) some boundary conditions: on the volumes/surfaces/edges = subdomain/boundary/edges (maybe also on the points but that's rather exceptional) fixed, restrained, force loads, temperature loads, sources, sinks ... 5) mesh the volumes carefully 6) solve the case 7) if everything did go OK then : postprocess, or decide what to show/plot/measure-analyse Normaly you should thereafter "verify" your model coherence: are the calculated values coherent with the model? and "validate" your model: do the results seem coherent with the desired effect ? cross check a few points against simple analytical calculations, and when possible by measured data for specific load cases. If not, work on the geometry, the BC's, the mesh density, perhaps the physics and try again That's it, Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.