Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling of Rotating Shaft

Reza Besharati Tabrizi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All
I am modeling a solid rotating shaft.
Which approach is the proper choice:
1- Beam node with prescribed rotation along axis (z)
2- Solid Mechanics
I am trying to study the structural behavior of a solid shaft.
Reza Besharati Tabrizi

1 Reply Last Post Nov 9, 2010, 1:43 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2010, 1:43 a.m. EST
Hi

I would say it all depends what you are after ;)

The beam model solves quickly but is perhaps less instructive/demonstrative rather than a full 3D model. For a full 3D you could probably also consider 2D axi if you have a nice cylindrical symmetry, at least to start with (it solves quicker and allows to get a quick grasp of what is needed before attacking a full 3D model, which mostly solves much solver and is thereforefar more time consuming to fully debug from scratch).

mixing beam and solids are slightly triky, because 1) you must still dedouble the materials (have separate materials for 3D and for 2D) and the beam has rotation boundary conditions tha must be correctly linked to the 3D solid, that has NO rotary DoF's, so these must be defined first, locally

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say it all depends what you are after ;) The beam model solves quickly but is perhaps less instructive/demonstrative rather than a full 3D model. For a full 3D you could probably also consider 2D axi if you have a nice cylindrical symmetry, at least to start with (it solves quicker and allows to get a quick grasp of what is needed before attacking a full 3D model, which mostly solves much solver and is thereforefar more time consuming to fully debug from scratch). mixing beam and solids are slightly triky, because 1) you must still dedouble the materials (have separate materials for 3D and for 2D) and the beam has rotation boundary conditions tha must be correctly linked to the 3D solid, that has NO rotary DoF's, so these must be defined first, locally -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.