Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating Rayleigh Damping Parameters

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
How can one calculate damping parameters (alpha & beta) for a given structure in Comsol?

there is some information about damping in 'smeug.pdf' (pages 140-148, 199, 372). However, it seems that the procedure of the constant calculation is not clear. They address a reader to the Elbow Bracket example (smeug.pdf' pp 36-37). In this example, they assume that "the structure has a constant damping ratio of 0.1."...Actually, if we assume another number we will get different damping parameters.

Please advise,
Stephan

1 Reply Last Post Mar 23, 2017, 2:39 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello SR

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 23, 2017, 2:39 a.m. EDT
Updated: 6 years ago Sep 20, 2018, 7:29 a.m. EDT
Hi,
Did u solve the problem? I also has some confusion about the damping part in comsol.
As I know the alpha & beta can be calculated by the first & second order eigenfrequency, and the corresponding mode damping ratio(may be this name). And the alpha is the mass damping,beta is the stiffness damping. But what to do nest I totally have no idea.
Maybe I NEED to give the structure a transient pulse to see the displacement vs time curve to calculate the damping ratio of the structure? In the experiment this is one of the way to measure damping ratio.
This is not a mature idea but I WILL try. If u still focus on or have solved this problem please give me some advice. Many 3x.

Ragards,
Yupeng
Hi, Did u solve the problem? I also has some confusion about the damping part in comsol. As I know the alpha & beta can be calculated by the first & second order eigenfrequency, and the corresponding mode damping ratio(may be this name). And the alpha is the mass damping,beta is the stiffness damping. But what to do nest I totally have no idea. Maybe I NEED to give the structure a transient pulse to see the displacement vs time curve to calculate the damping ratio of the structure? In the experiment this is one of the way to measure damping ratio. This is not a mature idea but I WILL try. If u still focus on or have solved this problem please give me some advice. Many 3x. Ragards, Yupeng

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.