Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force on one object leads to deformation of another object

Stanley van den Heever

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate a block that is placed a fixed distance above a cylinder. A force is then placed on the block, which causes it to move and contact the cylinder. The cylinder then deforms (buckles), with the bottom end of the cylinder fixed.
How do I simulate this in Comsol?
I created a contact pair and specified the boundary conditions, but the problem does not converge?
Any suggestions?

1 Reply Last Post Oct 26, 2010, 8:45 a.m. EDT
Stanley van den Heever

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2010, 8:45 a.m. EDT
To simplify matters for myself, I changed it to a 2D problem.
What I now have is two blocks, the one next to the other. Block 1 is upright and affixed at its bottom boundary. Block 2 is turned on its side and aligned with the top end of Block 1. A force is then placed on Block 2 so that it will move and bend (buckle) block 1.
However, I keep getting errors. Any ideas?
File is attatched.
To simplify matters for myself, I changed it to a 2D problem. What I now have is two blocks, the one next to the other. Block 1 is upright and affixed at its bottom boundary. Block 2 is turned on its side and aligned with the top end of Block 1. A force is then placed on Block 2 so that it will move and bend (buckle) block 1. However, I keep getting errors. Any ideas? File is attatched.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.