Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

reservoir modelling with two phase linear poroelasticity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I have a question: is it possible to create a two-phase reservoir model in Comsol by using Subsurface flow Module (Poroelasticity)?

Thank you all

Giulia

6 Replies Last Post Jul 13, 2017, 8:57 a.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 3, 2016, 7:53 a.m. EST
Hi,

I do not know how it is in 5.2, but in 4.4 I had to build a separate poroelasticity for multiphase (air and water). This was not difficult because I just coupled Richard's equation with linear elasticity and made some adjustments to the source term.

Suresh
Hi, I do not know how it is in 5.2, but in 4.4 I had to build a separate poroelasticity for multiphase (air and water). This was not difficult because I just coupled Richard's equation with linear elasticity and made some adjustments to the source term. Suresh

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 4, 2016, 11:41 a.m. EST
Thank you very much Suresh. I was thinking about create two different Poroelasticity physics, one for the wetting phase and one for the non-wetting phase. Do you think this could be ok?
Thank you very much Suresh. I was thinking about create two different Poroelasticity physics, one for the wetting phase and one for the non-wetting phase. Do you think this could be ok?

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 6, 2016, 7:56 a.m. EST
Hi Giulia,

Sorry, I do not have any background with reservoir geomechanics to comment on your idea.

What I was referring to in my earlier mail was that when you have a soil multiphase system, i.e. air and water, one can possibly use the empirical constitutive law such as Bishop and Blight, which includes both pore air and pore water pressure included in the stress-strain relationship. There is a parameter in the Bishop and Blight that depends on the degree of saturation of the water phase. Therefore, if you just have one equation for unsaturated flow and the other for linear elasticity, you can easily build Poroelastic model in COMSOL. Thus the manner in which the two phase system was considered is through a known consitutive law form literature. So if you have something similar or in fact whatever is the form of constitutive law, you can build it in COMSOL. If you have difficulty, then COMSOL support are very co-operative to help you with the process of building. I have personally gained a lot from seeking their help.

Suresh
Hi Giulia, Sorry, I do not have any background with reservoir geomechanics to comment on your idea. What I was referring to in my earlier mail was that when you have a soil multiphase system, i.e. air and water, one can possibly use the empirical constitutive law such as Bishop and Blight, which includes both pore air and pore water pressure included in the stress-strain relationship. There is a parameter in the Bishop and Blight that depends on the degree of saturation of the water phase. Therefore, if you just have one equation for unsaturated flow and the other for linear elasticity, you can easily build Poroelastic model in COMSOL. Thus the manner in which the two phase system was considered is through a known consitutive law form literature. So if you have something similar or in fact whatever is the form of constitutive law, you can build it in COMSOL. If you have difficulty, then COMSOL support are very co-operative to help you with the process of building. I have personally gained a lot from seeking their help. Suresh

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 6, 2016, 8:06 a.m. EST
Thank you very much for your help Suresh. I'll try to figure it out
Thank you very much for your help Suresh. I'll try to figure it out

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 23, 2016, 3:24 a.m. EDT
Hi Suresh, I was wondering if you have any COMSOL file (like .mph file) with the two physics implemented, because I tried to couple the Structural Mechanics with the Richard's law but I couldn't do it.

Thank you very much for your help

Giulia
Hi Suresh, I was wondering if you have any COMSOL file (like .mph file) with the two physics implemented, because I tried to couple the Structural Mechanics with the Richard's law but I couldn't do it. Thank you very much for your help Giulia

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 13, 2017, 8:57 a.m. EDT
Hi Guilia,

Have you solved this problem? I also want to do some simulation with the "Poroelasiticity interface" and two phases flow (gas and water).
Hi Guilia, Have you solved this problem? I also want to do some simulation with the "Poroelasiticity interface" and two phases flow (gas and water).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.