Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling evaporation of water. Need boundary condition to vary in space.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to build a 2D model of air flowing over a thin film of water. In this model there is a constant heat flux on the bottom boundary of the thin water domain. The goal is to track how much water is being evaporated into the air stream.

I am using Laminar flow (spf), Heat Transfer in Fluids (ht), and Transport of Dilute Species (tds) interfaces.

The main issue I am having is modeling mass transport at the air water interface. Ideally the height of water should decrease with time, which I think can be achieved with Reaction nodes.

I would like to set the concentration at the air water interface to saturation concentration, but the air water interface changes position with time, (the water level decreases as more water is evaporated into the air stream). How can I make a concentration boundary condition vary with the height of the liquid water? How can I make the concentration at the liquid water interface stay constant , even as the position of that water air interface changes with time?

1 Reply Last Post Feb 16, 2016, 2:35 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 16, 2016, 2:35 p.m. EST
You may need to use deformed geometry module to provide movement of interface. The boundary mesh velocity can be calculated from the mass flux/density at interface.
You may need to use deformed geometry module to provide movement of interface. The boundary mesh velocity can be calculated from the mass flux/density at interface.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.