Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

particle count

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently working on Laminar Static mixers on COMSOL 5.0. I have gone through the given Particle Tracer in Laminar static mixer webinar on COMSOL website. I have slightly modified the given Kenics Mixer geometry. I have introduced two surface at the start and at the end of the mixer elements. You can find it the attached screenshot. The purpose was to count the no. of particles at these surfaces. I followed the instructions given the COMSOL Blog "Different Ways to Count Particles in COMSOL Multiphysics". I selected these two surfaces separately as "wall2" , "wall3" and assigned accumulator to them. In post processing, I could be able to evaluate the 'sum of accumulated variable' for each time step for both of these surfaces. Till this point, everything is fine.

Now, my interest is to divide these surfaces in grid cells and to know for each grid cell how many particles are passing through. I do not know how to do this. Question1- is it possible to do in COMSOL?
Somehow by going through some of COMSOL discussion forums, I could find another way. I used the cut point 3D option and then used 70x70 grid. Please find the attached screenshot. I think, this option could have solved the problem if I was able to place this 'cutpoints 3d' on those two surfaces. But there is no such kind of option I guess.
Then through 'point evaluation' option under 'derived values' I tried to evaluate the 'fpt.wall2.bacc1.count - Accumulated variable count'. But it gave me error saying 'cannot evaluate expression'.

My interest is to know how many particles are there in each individual points (cell) of 70x70 grid.
(assume it like in your particle count blog, there is one image which shows particles in each cell. In my case, I was expecting the similar one. Like at every point of 70x70 grid, some no. of particles will be there in individual cell.)

Is it possible to know, how many particles are there at these points? Where am I going wrong?

How can i get this information? Please kindly, help me out to solve this problem. Looking forward to hear from you. Thank you.

Regards,
Sudhanshu

0 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2016, 10:54 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sudhanshu Soman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.