Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[solved] damped oscillations in a piezoelectric cantilever

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

4 Replies Last Post Oct 14, 2010, 12:32 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 8, 2010, 6:44 a.m. EDT
I can't look at your model because I dont have COMSOL on this computer, but wouldnt the damping effect be due to the fact that your cantilever is made of two different materials, each of which will respond differently to the oscillation?
I can't look at your model because I dont have COMSOL on this computer, but wouldnt the damping effect be due to the fact that your cantilever is made of two different materials, each of which will respond differently to the oscillation?

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 12, 2010, 11:15 a.m. EDT

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2010, 1:44 a.m. EDT
Hi

depending on how you connect up electrically your PZT you could have damping, there might be some "numerical damping" I believe for stability reasons, check the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi depending on how you connect up electrically your PZT you could have damping, there might be some "numerical damping" I believe for stability reasons, check the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 14, 2010, 12:32 p.m. EDT
Good evening,

I found the problem. It was due to a too large time stepping in the transient analysis settings.

With 1/100 of the period as time step everything works fine.
Good evening, I found the problem. It was due to a too large time stepping in the transient analysis settings. With 1/100 of the period as time step everything works fine.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.