Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

can not generate mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have drawn the geometry of a DC motor, but when I generate mesh, it always popup such error: Error: 4100, failed to generate mesh for subdomain. -subdomain 70 internal error in advancing front mesher.

this error happens in the airgap area and I have no idea how this happen. I drew this same geometry before, but with smaller size, say the radius is 1/2 of this one, there is no problem with that. could somebody help me analyze the reason for this?

3 Replies Last Post Mar 29, 2011, 3:33 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 19, 2010, 11:18 p.m. EDT
I'll take a guess. When a problem includes regions that are both large and small (detailed), the default mesh settings are sometimes inadequate to handle it. I recommend you set up some interior boundaries (without boundary conditions, which should default to continuous conditions) and then define the fineness of the mesh independently in the small and large regions. Alternatively, once you have divided it up as I said, you can mesh the problem on a per-domain basis, in which case you may find it advantageous to mesh the finer domains *before* you mesh the coarser adjoining ones. That makes it easier for the meshing routine to figure out where to insert mesh points.
I'll take a guess. When a problem includes regions that are both large and small (detailed), the default mesh settings are sometimes inadequate to handle it. I recommend you set up some interior boundaries (without boundary conditions, which should default to continuous conditions) and then define the fineness of the mesh independently in the small and large regions. Alternatively, once you have divided it up as I said, you can mesh the problem on a per-domain basis, in which case you may find it advantageous to mesh the finer domains *before* you mesh the coarser adjoining ones. That makes it easier for the meshing routine to figure out where to insert mesh points.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 29, 2011, 4:55 a.m. EDT
Hi Robert,
I also have the same with meshing of the airgap in an induction machine. Can you explain this solution more clearly?
Thank you
Hi Robert, I also have the same with meshing of the airgap in an induction machine. Can you explain this solution more clearly? Thank you

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 29, 2011, 3:33 p.m. EDT
Hi

I have noticed often issues when a geometry contains multiple loops, in these cases its often useful to add some interiour boundaries, and mesh "by parts/sections" manually

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have noticed often issues when a geometry contains multiple loops, in these cases its often useful to add some interiour boundaries, and mesh "by parts/sections" manually -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.