Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface roughness

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm new to COMSOL Multyphisics. I successfully built a 3D model of Laminar pipe flow. My idea is to build a pipe that is made of stainless steel and then change to glass with the same diameter. I want to know whether the velocity of the flow is still the same when the fluid flow from steel surface to glass surface. So, I decided to change the surface roughness for the pipe. Do anyone know what type of model that I need to used to change the surface roughness. I hope someone can help me on this.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 25, 2012, 9:57 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2012, 9:57 a.m. EST
Hi

fluid flow does not depend on the material (so long you are not studying heat transfer too, but really "just" the surface roughness, if your flow is quasi stationary, the wetting effect might influence too and this is surface maerial and treatment dependent.

I'm not sure there is much of pre-cooked surface roughness in v3.5, there are n v4 and the pipe flow module, and some features in the surface layer, see one of the treads earlier this year, on the same subject

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi fluid flow does not depend on the material (so long you are not studying heat transfer too, but really "just" the surface roughness, if your flow is quasi stationary, the wetting effect might influence too and this is surface maerial and treatment dependent. I'm not sure there is much of pre-cooked surface roughness in v3.5, there are n v4 and the pipe flow module, and some features in the surface layer, see one of the treads earlier this year, on the same subject -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.