Simulating elastic contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate an elastic contact with COMSOL Multiphysics, but on the internet I can only find tutorials on how to simulate a contact through the definition of contact pairs, which automatically adds the non linearity to the study (thus enhancing a lot the computational time).

Am I missing something or comsol does not provide such simulations?

Thanks,

Gabriele

2 Replies Last Post Mar 20, 2024, 10:29 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 month ago Mar 20, 2024, 5:07 a.m. EDT

Can you explain what you mean by 'elastic contact'? Contact is an inherently nonlinear phenomenon, so it cannot be studied using a linear method.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Can you explain what you mean by 'elastic contact'? Contact is an inherently nonlinear phenomenon, so it cannot be studied using a linear method.

Posted: 1 month ago Mar 20, 2024, 10:29 a.m. EDT
Updated: 1 month ago Mar 20, 2024, 10:31 a.m. EDT

Given the inherent non-linearity of the problem, I realize there may not be a straightforward solution to address my initial inquiries. Consequently, I'm reframing the question.

Here's a basic example I'm attempting to replicate. The aim is to simulate the outcome when a sudden shock causes a gyro to collide with its stoppers. I've configured the simulation accordingly, but I've noticed an unrealistic behavior: following the collision, the reaction force is so strong that the gyro begins moving in the opposite direction to the initial force, resulting in a back-and-forth oscillation.

The primary issues with this simulation (called in the file "Time dependent, collision") pertain to the unrealistic behavior observed and the excessive duration of the simulation, which extends to hours even in this highly simplified scenario.

Could you assist me in identifying any potential flaws in my simulation implementation?

Thank you, Gabriele

>Can you explain what you mean by 'elastic contact'? Contact is an inherently nonlinear phenomenon, so it cannot be studied using a linear method. Given the inherent non-linearity of the problem, I realize there may not be a straightforward solution to address my initial inquiries. Consequently, I'm reframing the question. Here's a basic example I'm attempting to replicate. The aim is to simulate the outcome when a sudden shock causes a gyro to collide with its stoppers. I've configured the simulation accordingly, but I've noticed an unrealistic behavior: following the collision, the reaction force is so strong that the gyro begins moving in the opposite direction to the initial force, resulting in a back-and-forth oscillation. The primary issues with this simulation (called in the file "Time dependent, collision") pertain to the unrealistic behavior observed and the excessive duration of the simulation, which extends to hours even in this highly simplified scenario. Could you assist me in identifying any potential flaws in my simulation implementation? Thank you, Gabriele

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.