Modal Mass Calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi , I need to evaluate modal mass for a quartz crystal, How to calculate effective modal mass of a longitudinal or shear mode in a 2D axis syemmetric model or 2D model. I suppose modal mass should be in order of micron but what I am gettiing is way too smaller than that. If normalzing the mode mass also the number dosent make sense . How COMSOL is caluclating modal mass and total mass? I was refering to this thread https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/30971/Modal-Mass-calculation but somehow number which I am getting are not matching up for a quartz of 10gram. Any suggestions in this regards will be welcome?

1 Reply Last Post Mar 20, 2024, 5:04 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 month ago Mar 20, 2024, 5:04 a.m. EDT

The thread you are linking to is obsolete. It was created before the introduction of modal mass variables in COMSOL.

You can find the definition of modal mass in the the section Eigenfrequency Studies in the theory chapter of the Structural Mechanics Module User's Guide.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The thread you are linking to is obsolete. It was created before the introduction of modal mass variables in COMSOL. You can find the definition of modal mass in the the section *Eigenfrequency Studies* in the theory chapter of the Structural Mechanics Module User's Guide.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.