Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary conditions in the tutorial model (Periodic boundary conditions)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have question regarding the boundary conditions used in the tutorial model about periodic boundary conditions. In this model a plane wave with a wave-vector with non-zero x- and z-component and polarisation in y-direction should be modelled. At the top and bottom boundary scattering boundary conditions are used in order to allow an excitation. And for the boundaries with a normal vector in x-direction Floquet periodic condition are used. But for the ones with a normal vector in y-direction perfect elector conductor is used. Can someone explain to me, while for these boundaries not also periodic conditions are used (Floquet or Continuity (as ky=0))?

(I tried to make the simulation using periodic conditions for all sides and the results are more or less the same. I'm just wondering if there is any reason why in the tutorial model perfect electric conductor is used, which may be important in some more complex geometries.)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Felix

2 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2012, 11:38 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 11, 2012, 5:39 p.m. EST
For the particular polarization used in the example, PEC boundary condition works. For orthogonal polarization, the BC should be change to PMC. For the general case is always better to use Floquet BCs.
For the particular polarization used in the example, PEC boundary condition works. For orthogonal polarization, the BC should be change to PMC. For the general case is always better to use Floquet BCs.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2012, 11:38 a.m. EST
Thanks a lot for your explanation
Thanks a lot for your explanation

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.