Enquiry of external material model in the structural mechanics module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Are there any external material model templates with time-dependent behaviour for the solid mechanics physics. I found the blogs and external material templates which are only for the stationary study (www.comsol.com/model/external-material-examples-structural-mechanics-32331). I am investigating the viscoelastic-damage behaviour of my material and I would like to use the function of external material model in Comsol. Netheir the current material model with the user defined variables nor PDE module can fully solve my problem, as I would like to achieve a staggered stress update algorithm using different time step size in multiple time scale calculations. Or can I use the LiveLink for MATLAB to handle this issue?

Additionally, is this function, external material, similar to the UMAT of ABAQUS? And can anyone introduce the main different between the external material for Comsol and UMAT for ABAQUS. The material constitutive model and stress update algorithm that I am working on have been successfully implemented in ABAQUS via UMAT in the literature, and I would like to achieve the implementation in Comsol as further I need to couple other physics with mechanical analysis in Comsol.

Thank you!

Best regards, Chonghui

1 Reply Last Post Mar 1, 2024, 9:50 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chonghui Wang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Ed Gonzalez COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 months ago Mar 1, 2024, 9:50 a.m. EST

Dear Dr. Wang, You might find this publication useful https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0965997824000176 Greetings Ed

Dear Dr. Wang, You might find this publication useful https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0965997824000176 Greetings Ed

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.