Contact Pair Simulation Issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Community,

I've encountered an issue while simulating a contact pair between two bodies in Comsol, and I'm seeking guidance to resolve it. My model comprises two bodies, one with a well-defined contact area and the other with a noticeable gap between them. Both bodies are made of steel, sharing identical material properties. The contact formulation is set to use a penalty method. Post-simulation, upon reviewing the animated view, I observed that the contact appears to overlap on the side where there's a gap. I suspect this discrepancy might stem from solver settings or possibly an oversight in my approach that I'm unable to identify. Interestingly, when I reviewed a similar model on the official Comsol platform, the contact exhibited no overlap and appeared accurate. I've attached the geometry model and mph file for reference.

Any insights, suggestions, or guidance to rectify this issue would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 27, 2023, 12:07 a.m. EST
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 months ago Nov 22, 2023, 4:11 a.m. EST

You are plotting a scaled deformation, not true deformation. I wonder why the bottom part is not fixed anywhere? You are also not sweeping the force, so I am not sure what COMSOL does internally. One contact pair might need to defined as 'In contact' initially, and the other as 'Not in contact'. Also, play around with Search distance. Hope this helps.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
You are plotting a scaled deformation, not true deformation. I wonder why the bottom part is not fixed anywhere? You are also not sweeping the force, so I am not sure what COMSOL does internally. One contact pair might need to defined as 'In contact' initially, and the other as 'Not in contact'. Also, play around with Search distance. Hope this helps.

Posted: 5 months ago Nov 27, 2023, 12:07 a.m. EST

Thankyou sir for the guidance. I will try with the true deformation and force sweep.

Thankyou sir for the guidance. I will try with the true deformation and force sweep.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.