Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Combining mapped mesh with tet mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on simulating an electrodynamic bearing and I need to perform mapped meshing for the copper ring and magnet, while using tetrahedral meshing for the outer air boundary. I would like to know if it is possible to achieve this in my simulation

3 Replies Last Post Jun 19, 2023, 2:15 a.m. EDT
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 16, 2023, 2:48 a.m. EDT

Hi Supreeth,

Yes, it is possible. You can combine domains that use different meshing techniques (that are applicable to those domains). I have attached a screenshot from a geometry with a cylinder meshed using a mapped mesh and a surrounding sphere using a free tetrahedral mesh (using a Cut Plane feature to "look inside" the mesh.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Supreeth, Yes, it is possible. You can combine domains that use different meshing techniques (that are applicable to those domains). I have attached a screenshot from a geometry with a cylinder meshed using a mapped mesh and a surrounding sphere using a free tetrahedral mesh (using a Cut Plane feature to "look inside" the mesh. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 16, 2023, 10:51 p.m. EDT

Hi , Magnus But whenever i combine hexahedral meshing with tet mesh, it gives lower quality elements, i have tried to convert using the mesh convert feature, still it gives the lower quality elements.

Hi , Magnus But whenever i combine hexahedral meshing with tet mesh, it gives lower quality elements, i have tried to convert using the mesh convert feature, still it gives the lower quality elements.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 19, 2023, 2:15 a.m. EDT

Hi Supreeth,

It's hard to say why your mesh has some areas with low element quality. I suggest that you contact COSMOL Support and supply a model example to get more help: https://www.comsol.com/support/case/.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Supreeth, It's hard to say why your mesh has some areas with low element quality. I suggest that you contact COSMOL Support and supply a model example to get more help: . Best regards, Magnus

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.