Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

magnetic flux integration with magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to do a magnetic flux integration from magnetic field.
I defined a boundary (in 3D geometry) of integration 'boun_flux', then typed the eqn in variables as:

flux = boun_flux(mef.normH)

but I think something's wrong, since the inductance I'm calculating should be 3.36e-10 H. But I'm getting 1.5e-10 H. That is too much as an error percentage, right?

Could you please help me?

3 Replies Last Post Jul 24, 2012, 5:22 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 24, 2012, 11:57 a.m. EDT
Hi,

It doesnt seem to be such a big error considering you are in the 1e-10 H order. But I am not sure about your
flux = boun_flux(mef.normH). normH is norm of the vector H. But the flux is not the integral of the norm of H over a surface. This is the integral of the component of B normal to the surface over the surface.

--
L. Queval
Hi, It doesnt seem to be such a big error considering you are in the 1e-10 H order. But I am not sure about your flux = boun_flux(mef.normH). normH is norm of the vector H. But the flux is not the integral of the norm of H over a surface. This is the integral of the component of B normal to the surface over the surface. -- L. Queval

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 24, 2012, 12:09 p.m. EDT
Mr. Queval,

thank you. Yes I know that the flux is the integral of the component of B normal to the surface over the surface.

My surface is a rectangle in yz plane. So, the normal component of the field to this surface is the x component of the field.
So I typed:

boun_flux(mef.Hx)

However with this, the inductance comes much more smaller: 9e-12 H.

I don't think I did something wrong in the calculation of the current.
I chose a surface again and typed:
boun(mef.normJ)
Since mefJ is current density, it makes sense to integrate like this.
Mr. Queval, thank you. Yes I know that the flux is the integral of the component of B normal to the surface over the surface. My surface is a rectangle in yz plane. So, the normal component of the field to this surface is the x component of the field. So I typed: boun_flux(mef.Hx) However with this, the inductance comes much more smaller: 9e-12 H. I don't think I did something wrong in the calculation of the current. I chose a surface again and typed: boun(mef.normJ) Since mefJ is current density, it makes sense to integrate like this.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 24, 2012, 5:22 p.m. EDT
My geometry is coax. You can see the picture in the attachment.
My geometry is coax. You can see the picture in the attachment.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.