Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem on the edges

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the electric field between two electrodes. The first electrode is vertically displaced (24 kV) while the second one is horizontaly displaced (ground).

Looking to the final result, it is possible to see at the edges of the second electrod, there is a distortion of the electric field (which do not make sense).

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Best regards

3 Replies Last Post Jul 19, 2012, 2:14 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2012, 11:01 a.m. EDT
Hi

why do you say they make no sense ? ;)

For me they are very illustrative of the charge concentration effects of sharp edges/vertex /corners, coupled to numerical issues while meshing around sharp corners. What is missing is the underlying mesh density, a wire frame image with the mesh would be more illustrative

you could try to fillet all sharp corners and let COMSOL mesh fine the arc segments and compare

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi why do you say they make no sense ? ;) For me they are very illustrative of the charge concentration effects of sharp edges/vertex /corners, coupled to numerical issues while meshing around sharp corners. What is missing is the underlying mesh density, a wire frame image with the mesh would be more illustrative you could try to fillet all sharp corners and let COMSOL mesh fine the arc segments and compare -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2012, 11:21 a.m. EDT
Oh I see,

I will take this oportunity to add other question. Between these two electrodes, I want to put a circle (which is made of polymer) and assess the charge density in this circle.

The final idea is to see the polarization of this object and have a nice picture. I am expecting the distortion of the electric field near to the circle.

Is it possible to do it? I am attaching the model.

Cheers
Oh I see, I will take this oportunity to add other question. Between these two electrodes, I want to put a circle (which is made of polymer) and assess the charge density in this circle. The final idea is to see the polarization of this object and have a nice picture. I am expecting the distortion of the electric field near to the circle. Is it possible to do it? I am attaching the model. Cheers

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2012, 2:14 p.m. EDT
Hi

certainly it's what COSOL is made for, add your geometry, define material properties, set BC and solve ;)

I cannot open your model as I'm not at my WS, I'm listening to an interesting webinar going on NOW abotut COMSOL pipe flow see :

www.comsol.com/events/webinars/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi certainly it's what COSOL is made for, add your geometry, define material properties, set BC and solve ;) I cannot open your model as I'm not at my WS, I'm listening to an interesting webinar going on NOW abotut COMSOL pipe flow see : http://www.comsol.com/events/webinars/ -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.