Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL batch mode fails to start if comsol.prefs file exsists

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've been hitting a strange behavior trying to use comsol batch mode recently, when trying to launch the job, it typically will echo the hostname I'm running on, but then exit without doing anything else. If I delete my comsol.prefs file from the comsol cache folder (~/.comsol/v56/comsol.prefs) the job will run successfully, but then subsequent jobs will fail in the same way as before, unless I delete the preferences file again. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or have any ideas how to prevent it from happening? I've been assuming there's something in the preferences file that is causing an issue, but nothing jumps out at me as a likely culprit (security.comsol.allowbatch is set to on).

Some more details: I've been testing with the cylinder flow example from here: https://www.comsol.com/model/flow-past-a-cylinder-97, with the command: comsol batch -nn 1 -np 4 -inputfile cylinder_flow.mph This is with version 5.6, though limited testing with 5.4 appeared to produce the same behavior. I'm running on ab HPC system, though all the jobs I'm testing are only running on a single node. Launching the GUI works fine, regardless of the status of the preferences file

0 Replies Last Post Feb 7, 2022, 9:17 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Drew P

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.